Prof. Ram Bishnoi • Greenhouse gases have quadrupled since the 1950s.
• 20% of the world's population lacks access to safe drinking water and 50% to sanitation systems.
• 80% of the world's original forest cover has been cleared or degraded and 39% of the remaining forest is threatened by mining or logging projects.
• 25% of the world's mammal species may be totally extinct.
• More than 50% of the world's coral reefs are threatened
Who is an environmentalist?
• Two doctors were walking along the bank of a river when they saw a man drowning. One of them jumped into the water, pulled him out, and administered first-aid. By the time the doctor was done with him, there came another, followed by yet another. The doctor now decided to set up a clinic at that spot.
• The second doctor decided to go upstream and find out what was pushing people into the river. He was an environmentalist: rather than going in for symptomatic treatment, he wanted to tackle the problem at source. This is what is needed today.